Many people have driven past the lumber yards or the home improvement stores and spotted the lovely gazebos or the completed porches and dreamed of them being part of their own yard someday. They may have thought about how they could rent a flat bed truck, have one lifted onto it and haul it home and then simply slide it into place. It is not that easy of a project and most gazebos are built on site from the ground up. And, this project is completed by a licensed contractor or even better, a specialized gazebo contractor. If you think that the landscaping feature that you are missing is the graceful gazebo or the fun, free standing porch, it is time to find and hire a gazebo builder. To find the right person for the job:
- Start by going to the source: the home building supply store or lumber yard that sells the gazebos and free standing porches. They may be able to refer you to the person that installs the most of them in the Thurston County, Washington area.
- Seek the advice of general contractors and handymen- some of them may be willing and able to handle this project, but not always.
- Check out the advertising in the local media; television, radio and newspapers
- Do an internet search, narrowing it down by keyword and location
- Ask neighbors who have had gazebos installed recently.
- Check the yellow pages (traditional or online version)
Once the right person is hired, there are several steps that will need to be taken before the project is completed.
Step one: Site preparation
- Before the gazebo builder brings in the lumber or the completed gazebo the area will be selected, leveled and dug out.
- If required, cement footers will be poured and allowed to dry
- The area may be roped off for safety reasons.
Step Two: Project Beginning
- On the first day of the gazebo building project, things will be very hectic. If you have pets and children, they will need to be secured so that they are not in the way or in danger.
- Make sure that there is a good place to put the wood or completed item until it is installed.
- Stay away from the contractor so that he can get his work done.
Step three: Project Completion:
- After leveling the gazebo and checking for safety, you will be brought out to check the finished work.
- Make sure that the site is thoroughly cleaned up before the contractor leaves.