Although you were warned not to do it, you decided to wire your new room all by yourself. You got the how to books from the library. You got out your tool set (the one you got six years ago and have used twice.) You have even got the cool looking safety glasses to protect your eyes. What you really needed was a bigger friend who could have held you down to prevent your foolishness.
The original plan was to connect the wiring in this room addition, shower, dress and meet friends for a minor celebration. Instead, here you are in the emergency room with bandaged hands a banged up head and the slight odor of burned flesh around you. Your friends pick you up and are taking you home when you see the fire trucks and your ready to kill wife on the front lawn. Not only did you give yourself quite a good jolt of electricity and a nice little head wound you have caused a minor electrical fire in the process.
Your wife storms over to you with phone in hand- the insurance company would like to speak to you.
Here are some of the downsides that NOT hiring a professional can have:
- Your insurance policy may not cover any claims caused by work of an unlicensed amateur.
- You may end up injuring yourself or others if you do not know what you are doing.
- Electrical fires are all too common and are generally caused by 1) overloaded or faulty wiring and circuits 2) outdated wiring and circuits and 3) improperly installed wiring and circuits.
- Electrical fires can start and spread very quickly and dramatically or smolder in the walls without anyone being aware of them until it is too late
- Improperly installed electrical wiring can damage major home appliances.
So, you thought that you were going to save a little bit of money by not hiring an electrician. But now you are out the original cost of the addition plus the rebuild of the room you have not even used yet. On top of that you have medical bills and the fact that your wife is still considering your doom.
Save yourself the time, trouble and potential danger by having your wiring installed by a licensed and experienced Tacoma, Washington electrician.