Hiring A Professional To Install Simulated Wood Or Stone Flooring In Washington County, Texas
Hardwood floors are beautiful, but they are not very eco-friendly. Stone is also a beautiful choice but it can be heartbreakingly expensive. There are other choices which are easier on the environment, and your budget. However, it should be noted that some of these materials are not beginner level installation at all and should only be done by a professional.
In these times of more eco-consciousness, it is also important that just using green materials will not earn a contractor the right to say "I am green". There are techniques and installation guidelines that must be strictly adhered to as well.
How to find a simulated wood or stone professional:
- Ask for professional referrals from general contractors, real estate agents, interior designers, and at the flooring dealers.
- Ask friends and family who have had similar work completed recently
- Do an internet search making sure to narrow by your location.
What to ask when you find the flooring contractor:
- Are you certified and licensed in Washington County, Texas?
- Are you bonded and insured?
- Are you green certified in addition to other certification?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you give free written estimates and warranties for your work?
- Will you discuss the flooring options for me including the drawbacks?
How to make that the contractor is really green:
- Green certification should be prominently and proudly displayed
- Vehicles and office should be as eco-friendly as possible
- Only uses non-toxic, non-polluting adhesives on the flooring he installs.
- Does not work with non-green materials any more.
- Suggests cork and bamboo as flooring choices immediately.
Understanding your flooring choice and how to care for it is very important. While some of these simulated wood grains or stone floors may look like the real thing, they do not always behave the same way. In many cases, the care of the simulated materials is far easier and the durability superior to the real thing, but each have drawbacks that must be considered. Make sure that you are given tips to keeping your new floor fresh and new for years to come before the contractor leaves.
Once the floor is installed:
- Follow all care tips given by the contractor
- See if anyone notices the difference between the real and the simulation
- Give referrals for a job well done.