Your hard wood floor is in relatively good shape, but it is dingy and dull and you would really like to bring it back to its original beauty and shine. Before you think you have to do something drastic like having a new floor installed, or something potentially damaging like trying to refinish the floor yourself, ask yourself these if the floor isn't worth being cared for correctly.
Over time your wood floor will start to show its age, from the dull finish caused by cleaning to the scuffs, scratches and grooves caused by normal foot traffic. Refinishing will revitalize the surface and make the floor look new once again but should be done by a professional because of the complicated and sometimes lengthy processes that must be undertaken to get it done correctly. When you are ready to hire a flooring professional for your refinishing needs, make sure that you ask:
- Are you certified and licensed to contract in Mcallen, Texas?
- Are you bonded and insured?
- Have you been in business in this area for a long time?
- Are you experienced?
- Do you use the latest techniques and will you use state of the art tools?
- Do you use only the safest methods to minimize dust and odors?
- Will you protect adjoining rooms?
- Do you use green practices when refinishing floors?
- Do you give free written estimates and guarantee your work?
- Do you have references and do you mind if they are checked?
The flooring professional should come and assess the damages to the floor and then give his recommendations. If you have had more than one estimate and they are very different in both the way that they plan to proceed as well as the price they quote you, do not hesitate to ask why. One method is not necessarily better than the other, merely different. Once you have found the contractor that you plan to work with, you should make sure that you know exactly what will take place and whether you should leave the home for the duration of the project.
After the project is completed make sure that you get recommendations from the flooring professional about how to care for the newly refinished flooring to make it stay fresh and new looking for as long as possible.