A door is a very important part of your home for very obvious reasons. It keeps the outside out and the inside in. Your door is one of the first things people will see when they come to your home, so it is very important that it makes the right first impression. It should say ‘Welcome’ to friends and family, and ‘Stay Away’ to intruders.
Besides just looking good, an exterior door has to have its function as well. It has to be sealed correctly or it will let in too much air and cold. An incorrectly hung door will not open and close the right way, will not lock when it should and could stick or jam at the wrong time. Unless you have the right skills, this is a job best left to a professional.
Finding a Door Contractor in Garland, Texas
Start your search by:
- Asking for referrals from general contractors or other professionals
- Asking at building supply stores for suggestions
- Internet search (narrowed by keyword and location)
- Referrals from friends and family
When you find some door contractors, find out more about them:
- Are you licensed to provide contracting services in Garland, Texas?
- Are you bonded and insured?
- Can you give me references?
- Will you give a free, written estimate as well as a written guarantee of your work?
- Will you dispose of the old door (if there is no use for it)?
- Will you install extra locks or other security measures when requested to?
Do not worry that you are asking too many questions. A professional should welcome these and many more. Make sure that you follow up with references as well.
For a professional door contractor, this job should take no more than an hour or two, but for you, that door will be hanging there for a very long time. Make sure that it will be done correctly by taking the time to hire the right contractor.
Some final tips to consider:
- Hire someone who has an honest reputation.
- Do not hire the first door contractor you talk to.
- If you cannot find a door specialist in your Garland, Texas, then ask how many doors the general contractor has installed. The same rules apply, however—check references, get referrals and get a free estimate.