Repairing A Wooden Fence: Hiring A Wood Fence Contractor In Brewster County, Texas
You noticed the other day that a part of the fence in the back yard was down. You had known it was loose for a while and did nothing to repair it and now it is lying down on the ground. After a fairly thorough investigation, you have come to the conclusion that the rest of the fence is still in good shape and that this one section can be repaired and reinstalled. And that ends the extent of your expertise. You do the most logical thing you could in the circumstance and call a wood fence contractor to assess the damage and make the final call.
The Fence can probably be repaired if:
- It is less than ten years old and was properly installed.
- It is only the one section that is affected.
- There is no sign of termite or other wood destroying infestation.
- The wood is showing no signs of water damage or rot.
- Adjoining sections are solid and in good repair.
Whether the one section will be repaired or replaced will depend on the contractor’s opinion. Either way it will be a simple operation and should take less than an hour of time to complete. However, you should also consider having the contractor inspect the rest of the fence while there to be sure that all sections are securely in place and in good condition.
Other fence maintenance that should be scheduled at this time:
- Re-staining, repainting or re-treating the fence for weather protection
- Additional fence sections added or new gates installed
The contractor who handles this job should be licensed in Brewster County, Texas of course, but because of the size of the project a building permit should not be necessary.
While repairing is always the cheaper and easier option, you might need to consider replacing or upgrading the fence if:
- There is evidence of insect or water damage
- The fence is no longer anchored in the ground correctly
- More than a few of the sections or damaged, loose or missing
- The fence is older than ten years old.
Wood is the material of choice for many people, but it is not the greenest fencing option, so if that is important to you, exploring other, reasonable options might be the best idea for you when it comes time to replace the fence.