So, you have hired a masonry contractor and it’s almost time for the project to get started. No matter how big or small the project is, it’s a little exciting for everyone. But the excitement could soon turn into frustration as delays and little petty annoyances start cropping up. Before your masonry contractor arrives, before the first brick is laid or the first shovel of dirt turned over. Do, a little preparation work so that everyone will be happy once the job starts.
For work in the back or front yard:
- Move all obstacles out of the way.
- Move the outside dog to an area where he will not be barking at, sniffing or nibbling on the contractor
- Do the same with the kids and the neighbors.
- Consider whether you will need to move your car as well.
- Figure out where the contractor and crew will be toileting beforehand. Also ask if you can or should provide lunches. (Most crews will bring their own.)
- Provide access to a supply of water if requested.
For work inside the home:
- Restrict all movement in and around the work area. (The inside pets get shuffled outside this time.)
- Consider what items you might need in the room before the contractor gets there.
- Do not hover.
- Move any breakable, valuable or irreplaceable items for your own peace of mind.
- Make sure that there is a spot for clean-up as the crew finishes up.
For work that is attached to the home (like steps into the home):
- Block off access to that door both inside and outside the home until the steps are completed and deemed safe to use.
- Wait for the stone mason to give the okay before anyone touches, walks on or gets near the completed project.
You spent enough time making sure that you hired the very best mason in the Kemper County, Mississippi area. You took the time to figure out the exact project and you both agreed on the right time frame for it. Trust your instincts. You know that you hired the right person and that you will be blown away by the finished work.
Once the work is completed:
- Compliment the mason on a job well done.
- Pay the balance of the fee.
- Allow pictures to be taken of the final project.
- Agree to give positive referrals in the future.