If you are interested in increasing your home’s energy efficiency and saving money at the same time, consider installing storm windows.
Storm windows can be an economical choice for improving the efficiency of old fashioned single pane windows since they reduce the amount of outside air that comes into your home.
Storm Window Options And Benefits
Storm windows are available in sizes to fit most windows, and there are several options available.
- Interior Storm Windows – Interior storm windows are applied to the inside of existing windows. They tend to provide a tight seal, and are easier to install, especially if you have more than one storey to your home. These are the easiest type of storm window to clean, so if you have a lot of windows, it may be beneficial to use interior storm windows in some of the hardest to reach places.
- Exterior Mounted Storm Windows – High quality exterior mounted storm windows tend to be much more costly than interior storm windows. They often come with “weep holes” drilled in the bottom of their frames; the weep holes allow condensation to escape to the outside. Interior storm windows cannot be equipped with this type of drainage system.
- Storm Windows Prevent Approximately 50% Of Heat Loss – Storm windows with a low E-coating are even better at stopping heat loss than the old fashioned type. No matter what kind of storm windows you choose, you will realize benefits from them.
- Glass Exterior Storm Windows Are Most Attractive – Glass exterior storm windows are the most attractive type of storm windows. They tend to be less obtrusive.
- Hard Plastic Exterior Storm Windows – Exterior Storm Windows made from hard plastic are durable and flexible. They are much less attractive and harder to clean than glass exterior storm windows.
- Storm Windows Can Be Removed – Storm windows can be removed easily for cleaning and maintenance. While they do not provide the same benefits as some new, green replacement windows, they do help prevent costly heat loss during cold months.
No matter what type of storm windows you choose, you will be glad you did. You will stay warmer in your house and lose less heat through old leaky windows – a winning combination.