Bathroom remodels offer some of the best ways to add value to your home. Studies show that dollar for dollar, bathroom remodeling upgrades pay homeowners a higher return on their investment than practically any other type of home improvement project.
But before plunging into a bathroom remodeling project it is a good idea to consult with your plumbing contractor and remodeling contractor to come up with the best plan. Here are some tips to get you started:
- If you are on a tight budget, for example, consider just doing a strategic cosmetic update. That can be as simple as just adding new fixtures and a coat of fresh paint.
- Or your bathroom remodeling project could be more involved and include expanding the facilities by adding a shower to an existing half bath or a double sink to a full bath shared by two people.
- One smart bathroom remodeling tip is to first locate your existing plumbing pipes. Moving pipes through a house can be an extensive and expensive proposition, but tying into pipes that are already there is much simpler and easier.
- If you install a bathroom upstairs, for instance, design it so that it is directly above the kitchen wall that has the sink and dishwasher in it. That way you can run pipes up from the kitchen just a short distance and use those to feed the water lines in the new bathroom.
- Another great tip for those who are short on space is to buy a modular shower unit. Some are small, others are gigantic, but they all offer simple installation. You don't have to have your bathroom remodeling contractor create a whole new infrastructure. Just take the pre-made fiberglass modular shower or shower and tub unit, place it in the corner, and attach it. That saves time, money, and space.
Not only do bathroom remodeling projects add solid resale value to those who plan to sell their home, but they also add value to those who plan to rent or lease the property. Meanwhile those who neither sell nor rent but instead stay in the house for the long haul get the enduring benefit of a more pleasant quality of life thanks to a much nicer bathroom.