There are many plumbing problems that can be solved by repairing a sewer main or installing a new one. This is definitely not a do it yourself job! In order to handle the work, you will need a plumber and probably a plumbing contractor, too.
Permits are normally required for any sewer main installation work, and some types of work will require a final inspection. Luckily, there are many plumbers and plumbing contractors in who can help you solve your sewer main problems.
A good way to avoid costly repairs is to have your sewer main inspected periodically. Plumbers have camera systems that can detect problems that are just starting; such as tree roots beginning to invade a sewer main. If you catch problems early, repairing them will be much more affordable.
Signs That You Probably Need To Handle A Sewer Main Problem
Your home’s sewer main is necessary for removing all solid and liquid waste from your home; and just as every other part of a home eventually needs attention, so does your sewer main. Here are some symptoms of a faulty sewer main – you can use them to help determine whether it is time to call a plumber.
- You have tried professional drain cleaning for slow drainage and the problem has not gone away.
- Bathtubs, sinks, and toilets drain slowly
- When you use one facility, waste water backs up into others. For example, when you shower, water may come up through sinks and toilet water level may rise.
- You can smell an odor coming from drains
- Dishwasher wastewater is backing up into the sink
- You can see or smell wastewater in the area surrounding your sewer main.
Sewer Main Installation And Repair Information
- Repairing or installing a sewer main is a big job that will more than likely require digging. You may need to get a permit, so check with public works officials to see what is required in your neighborhood.
- The amount of time for completing work on sewer main depends on the size of the job (distance from your house to the street) and whether a whole new main will be needed or an existing sewer main can be repaired.
- The cost of repairing or replacing a sewer main can be significant. If possible, repair sewer mains as soon as a problem is detected. The worse the problem, the more costly and time consuming the repairs will be.
- Trenchless repair is sometimes possible, so be sure to ask your plumbing contractor whether it will work in your case.