If you live in an area that gets hit by frequent power outages, it is time to consider adding a generator. While the smaller, portable units are okay, they do not really provide a lot of power, are no good for running built-in items that do not have accessible plugs and require constant monitoring to make sure they do not run out of gas. You also must make sure that the unit is placed outside and far enough away from windows and vents because of carbon monoxide build-up.
It might be a wiser and easier option to consider having an automatic generator unit installed by a professional generator contractor. Because this is a potentially dangerous undertaking, it is very strongly recommended that it be done only by experienced professionals.
How to look for a professional generator installer:
- Ask for professional referrals from other contractors. (This may be a job that is subcontracted out.)
- Ask for referrals from the dealer directly.
- Do an internet search (make sure that you narrow by keyword and location).
Once you find some professionals, make sure that you ask more in-depth questions:
- Are you licensed and certified to contract in Lincoln County, Georgia?
- Are you a member of a local Lincoln County, Georgia professional guild?
- Are you insured against damages or injuries on the job?
- How many people do you employ and how many will be on this job?
- Do you provide free, written estimates of the work you will do?
- Do you provide written guarantees of the work?
- Do you thoroughly test the lines and wiring of the unit before leaving the job?
Remember, a permanently installed generator involves more than just one step. It is not like having a portable one that you fill with gas and kick on, when you need it. This one will require steps that include site preparation, gas line hookup, and electrical wiring. The permanent unit is very heavy, so it will take an experienced crew to safely get it to the prepared site and install it.
If there is enough of a need to look into a permanent generator, then there is enough need to have it safely and correctly installed by a professional including installing and pressure checking the gas lines for the unit itself.