The experts all like to say that if you want something, you have to get it yourself. That may not always be true. Sometimes it takes the vision of a professional to get what you really want. You might have a basic idea of what you would like, but you do not have the color schemes, the pattern and the textures that a designer might have. They studied hard to learn the tricks of their trade—now give them a chance to show off what they know.
Here are some reasons to hire a professional bathroom designer:
- Small rooms are unforgiving of design flaws.
- Color schemes can make or break the room.
- Talented designers could make the room look nearly twice as big.
- A good design makes perfect use of light and air.
- This is a room that you spend a huge part of your life in, so get it done right.
What not to expect from a bathroom designer:
- Miracles! That room is not going to clean itself. Ever!
- Unreasonable demands in the space allowed. Even a great designer is bound by physics and reality.
- The ability to mind read. If you can’t explain what you envision, you won’t end up with it. It is just that simple.
What to expect from a professional bathroom designer:
- A vision that is both artistic in its beauty and understated it its form.
- A room that you do not mind spending time in, even if you are cleaning it.
- Good use of color, light and design techniques.
- Incorporation of green concepts whenever possible.
- A color scheme that is fashionable rather than trendy so that it has lasting power.
The first meeting with a bathroom designer:
- Could last an hour, or three hours, depending on the discussion, the connection and the design gap.
- Should cover an estimate of the cost of the final design.
- Should detail how and when the contractor will be brought in.
- Should set limits for the budget.
- Tell a designer of any kind: Here are the room dimensions. You’re on your own. I like blue.
- Think that you know more about design than you really do. If you don’t like something, say so, but don’t think it’s anything more than personal taste.