When you are getting ready to paint a room, or many rooms and know that you are going to hire someone to do this task, you will have to keep several things in mind before, during and after the job. Make sure that you hire the right person before the first paint can is opened and you will have far less to worry about in the long run. However, even with careful interviewing and reference checking, you may still find yourself worried about what to expect. Here are some of the things to keep in mind:
Before the job begins:
- Make sure that you have checked the credentials, license and references of the contractor thoroughly.
- Know the zoning and code law of the Yakutat County, Alaskaarea.
- Know what will need to be removed from the room or rooms before the painter gets there.
Once the job is underway:
- Keep pets and children out of the area. Keep others out of the way as much as possible. If the room is one that is heavily traveled, move as many things out of it as possible so traffic is a minimum.
- Make sure that the painter can get to water if necessary.
- Make sure that the painter and crew have access to a restroom.
After the job is completed:
- Make sure that all agreed upon cleaning is completed
- Check the work to be sure that there are no streaks, bubbles or other flaws to detract from the finish.
- If you notice anything that is not up to your standard, say so before the contractor leaves.
Finding the right contractor is only part of the process. You also have to make sure that you find the right color and texture type for the room and your lifestyle. Choose a paint that is easy to care for, especially for those rooms that may need to be cleaned frequently like a kitchen, bathroom or a child's room.
Finally, another consideration to keep in mind is the concept of green- will you employ a contractor who will make things as green as possible? Will you insist on low odor, non toxic, water based paints for instance? The more important that eco-friendly products and techniques are, the more important it will be to find a painting contractor that is well versed in the idea.