Patios, Walkways And Steps: Hiring A Paving Contractor In Northwest Arctic County, Alaska
Wooden decks and porches are nice, but if they are not properly treated, they will rot and need to be replaced. The new plastic decks are nice, but they can get fairly expensive. If you really don’t need anything fancy, if all you really need is a set of steps and a little walkway, you can hire a professional paving contractor to handle the job for you in no time at all. Unless you have successfully poured concrete before, it is time to let the pros do the work, especially when it comes to building your steps.
Hiring the professional paving contractor:
- Should be done as soon as the work is needed because the good ones get booked up fast.
- Should be clearly and plainly spelled out in a legally binding contract.
- Should only be started after a thorough interview process.
- Should include a written warranty for the workmanship (but will not cover weather extremes or misuse by the homeowner).
- Should include the schedule for when payment is expected, in what amount and in
- Should include a timeframe for before, during and after the project is finished.
After the interview:
- Follow up with references.
- Check credentials and certification.
- Compare estimates with other paving contractors.
Before the project begins:
- Remove obstacles from the area, including dogs and kids.
- Make sure that you have paid the initial money to the contractor.
- Make sure that you know when to expect the crew and how many there will be.
Once the project is underway:
- Stay out of the work area unless you are specifically needed.
- Offering lemonade or coffee is fine unless it starts interfering with the work.
- Keep dogs, kids and nosy neighbors out of the way as much as possible.
When the project is completed:
- Inspect the completed work to be sure that you are satisfied.
- Make sure that all agreed-upon clean-up has been completed.
- Make the final payment to the contractor.
The contractor might ask YOU:
- For a positive referral once the job is completed.
- To be allowed to take photos of the job for his portfolio.
- To allow a sign to be put up during and after the project for advertising purposes.